14th Support Group Meeting
Support Group Meeting #14 was held on July 23, 2019, at 630PM at the University of Miami Hospital U-Health Tower, in room 2026, the Board of Directors' meeting room.
We were so pleased that 21 people were able to join us at this meeting because the weather in Miami was terrible - a combination of rain and thunderstorms. Among those in attendance were 8 patients and 3 caregivers. We allowed extra time for the people to arrive, so there was more time for socializing and enjoying the refreshments.
We were very fortunate and appreciative to have Dr. Lea Crestodina, Director of the Wound, Ostomy, Continence Department at Memorial Regional Hospital as our speaker. Her topic was "Living with a Stoma: Pouch Concealment". She gave valuable information and clothing tips and even brought props which she passed around. Everyone really enjoyed seeing the products firsthand and knowing where they can be purchased.
We urge all ostomy patients to go to our website to see Dr. Crestodina's information sheet that she passed out.
We would like to thank Julie Gareau, owner of Ostomy Inc., for her generosity in providing the delicious refreshments for this meeting.
We would also like to apologize for an oversight in not mentioning that the refreshments for the June Support Group meeting were provided by Alicia Hubbard, owner of Surgical World. We greatly appreciate her generous contribution.
Our next support group meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 27th at the UM U-Health Tower, room 2026 at 630PM. The speakers will be Alicia Horner, Miami-Dade Office of Emergency Management Health & Medical Planner and Victor J. Torres, Emergency Manager University of Miami Health System and Miller School of Medicine, Department of Public Safety. Their topic will be "Hurricane Preparedness for the Ostomy Patient"
We hope you all will join us.
Pouch Concealment by Leanne Richbourg Presented at WOCN National Conference Salt Lake City, Utah, May 2017.
- Spanx and Spanx-like products:
- Available at most department stores, discount stores such as Target and Walmart
- "Even things out"
- Around $18.00
- Vassarette panties:
- Carried at Walmart
- Tighter than a pantie but looser than a girdle
- About $4.00 each
- Men and women
- Pouch inside panties
- Many styles
- "Granny panties"
- Boy leg panties
- Double underwear, pouch in-between
- Post-partum panties ($10.00-$20.00)
- Nordstrom Halogen Camisole: 10 inches long or 17.5 inches
- Shaping camisoles available at most retailers from Nordstrom's to Walmart
- Maternity wrap available from most retailers from Nordstrom's to Walmart
- Tennis shorts and Bike shorts
- Patterned shirts and dark pleated pants
- Asymmetrical shirts and dresses, tunics and shark bite dresses
- Pants and jeans with elastic inserts and waistbands
- Tunic tops, stretchy jeans and leggings
- Untucked tee shirts, sporty pants and OSTOmysecets wrap
- Layers, long tunics, shrugs, sweaters
- Maternity jeans and maternity tee shirts with a little flare
- Indigo blue maternity jeans from Motherhood maternity
- Tops that gather in the front or have pleats in the front